Packages and Promotions
Let us take the guess work out of your next stay at Gay Street Inn. We offer several great packages and local promotions to help you spend more time enjoying your vacation and less time planning.
Staying at Gay Street Inn for a special occasion? Celebrate the right way with a bottle of carefully selected champagne and a box of chocolates from a local artisan chocolatier waiting in your room upon arrival.
Planning to visit the Shenandoah National Park on your next visit to Gay Street Inn? Get prepared for your outdoor adventure with the Falcon Guide Book to the Shenandoah National Park, the “Hikes to Waterfalls” and “Short Hikes” park booklets, and delicious, locally-made trail snacks. When the hiking day is done, relax in your room with a reserve bottle of red or white wine from our cellar. (Please note a preference for white wine in the Reservation Notes field, otherwise we will provide a red wine.)
Copper Fox Whisky Package
Just because you’re in Virginia wine country doesn’t mean you can’t also enjoy some of America’s native spirit at the award-winning Copper Fox Distillery in nearby Sperryville. Included in this package are two passes for a tour and tasting at the distillery, two custom engraved Copper Fox Glencairn tasting glasses, and whisky-infused chocolates from a local chocolatier.
Stay and Play “a-Round” Package
Enjoy a fun and challenging round of golf at The Schoolhouse Nine Par 3 golf course in nearby Sperryville. Included in this package are vouchers good for two rounds of golf and two sleeves of golf balls (inquire about golf club rental, if needed). Once you’ve conquered the course, relax in your room with a reserve bottle of red or white wine from our cellar. (Please note a preference for white wine in the Reservation Notes field, otherwise we will provide a red wine.)
In addition to our packages, we offer several coupons for discounts and free tastings to some our favorite area wineries. Or, if you’re looking to really increase your wine IQ, attend a session of Wine Bootcamp at the nearby Little Washington Winery. Just add our special discounted tickets to your reservation at check out!
Planning to really relax during your next visit? Ask us about Gay Street Inn’s private discounts at the Little Washington Spa, just steps away!
About the Area
The Town of Washington was surveyed by a young George Washington in 1749 and remains to a remarkable degree a village in which he would still feel at home. Rappahannock County as a whole, nestled against Shenandoah National Park, has thousands of acres of land in scenic and agricultural easement, preserving a rural way of life (enjoy apple- or peach-picking) with 21st century social and cultural amenities (attend a concert, visit an art gallery).
Whether you wish to spend a quiet day reading in our library or gardens, shop for antiques, hike mountain trails, go wine-tasting, or have a gourmet dinner, you can find it all within steps or a few miles of the Gay Street Inn. Here are just some of the many nearby attractions to help you plan your visit:
Good food and good spirits -- here are our favorites within walking distance:
- The Country Café - (540-675-1066) For a home-cooked lunch or dinner served the old-fashioned way, experience simpler fare within walking distance and without reservations.
- The Inn at Little Washington - (540-675-3800), For dinner at a restaurant ranked among the best in the world by Travel + LeisureTravel Guide, enjoy an unforgettable dining experience at this 2 Michelin Star, 5-star/5-diamond internationally acclaimed “one-of-a-kind” restaurant.
- Tula's Off Main - (540-675-2223) Recently renovated and located only a block from the Gay Street Inn. Tula's has established a reputation for fine dining in a relaxed and casual setting, Tula's also provides guests with a tap-room distinguished by a bar custom made by renowned local furniture designer Peter Kramer.
Good food and good spirits can also be found at many locations within a short drive (5 to 20 minutes) and these are among our favorites:
- Claire's at the Depot - (540-351-1616) For excellent local cuisine and high-quality service in the romantic setting of a restored train depot. (Warrenton)
- Foti's - (540-829-8400) For fine dining in an elegant atmosphere. (Culpepper)
- Griffin Tavern - (540-675-3227) For authentic English pub food in a lively atmosphere (live music most weekends, sports TVs in the bar area). (Flint Hill)
- The Blue Door Kitchen & Inn - (540-675-1700) For delicious cuisine with a Mediterranean flare. (Flint Hill)
- Rappahannock Pizza Kitchen - (540-987-8790) For gourmet, made-to-order pizza to eat in or take out. (Sperryville)
- The Headmaster’s Pub - (540-987-5008) Located in the Old Schoolhouse Building, this popular local “watering hole” offers an extensive selection of East Coast micro brews as well as live music every weekend. (Sperryville)
- Thornton River Grille - (540-987-8790) For fine dining and good wines in a casual, intimate atmosphere. (Sperryville)
- Bar Francis - (540-987-9533) Located next to Thornton River Grille, Bar Francis features locally-inspired alchemistic cocktails & classics, wine, and beer along with small bites.
Vineyards and Wineries
The grapes of Rappahannock increasingly have been bringing home major awards from around the country. Tastings in beautiful settings, opportunities for picnic lunches and special events abound at these and other local vineyards and wineries. Be sure to ask us about winery discounts and coupons for free or discounted tastings!
- Quievremont Winery
- Desert Rose
- Gadino Cellars
- Gray Ghost Vineyards
- Glen Manor Vineyards
- Linden Vineyards
- Little Washington Winery
- Magnolia Vineyards
- Narmada Winery
- Pearmund Cellars
- Rappahannock Cellars
Located just a few minutes away in Sperryville, two micro breweries and an award-winning craft whiskey distillery provide unique hand-crafted ales, small batch beers, and classic American spirits. For whisky fans, be sure to book our Copper Fox Whisky Package for the full experience! Sperryville also boasts an amazing coffee café that roasts and grinds its own coffee beans for a truly outstanding cup of java. And just around the corner in Little Washington, incredible wines are paired daily with delectable artisan confections in a wide variety of flavors.
- Central Coffee Resources
- Copper Fox Distillery
- Pen Druid Brewing
- The Ale Works & Biergarten at Hopkins Ordinary
- Wine Loves Chocolate
Art, Antique and Gift Stores
R.H. Ballard Art, Rug & Home is a "destination shop" not to be missed. There are many other fine retailers in the area, including in the historic downtown districts of Front Royal, Culpeper and Warrenton. The town of Washington features several art galleries, and the famous gift shops at the Inn at Little Washington, all within a block or two of the Gay Street Inn. A few of our other local favorites:
- Antiques at Middle Street
- Copper Fox Antiques
- Gay Street Gallery
- Ginger Hill Vintage Finds
- Geneva Welch Gallery
- Haley Fine Art
- Kevin H. Adams’ Studio
- Middle Street Gallery
- Peter Kramer, Cabinet Maker
- Rare Finds Antiques
- School House Antiques
Entertainment & Activities
Whether it's outside among nature or in the comfort of the indoors, there are plenty of ways to enjoy your visit to Little Washington.
Interested in horseback riding? The Marriott Ranch in nearby Hume offers scheduled trail rides and special services. Call (540) 364-3741 / 354-2627 for more information or to schedule a ride.
Interested in playing a round of Golf? Schoolhouse Nine in Sperryville--Rappahannock’s first golf course--features 9 challenging par-3 holes ranging in length from 85 to 171 yards. The course meanders through a series of native wildflower meadows bordered by the Thornton River. Call (540) 987-5008 for more information or book our Stay & Play "a-Round" Package!
Want to enjoy some classical music? The Castleton Festival, established by the late Loren Maazel, sponsors classical music during its summer season in Rappahannock County.
Want to catch a play or an inspirtational talk? The Rappahannock Association for Arts in the Community sponsors Friday night lectures and other cultural events, including stage productions of well-known plays.
- Looking for a movie or concert? The Theatre at Washington offers world-class concerts, comics and movies on selected weekend evenings. Walk just two blocks – and home-made popcorn to boot!
- Luray Caverns
Luray Caverns are quite simply among the most beautiful underground caverns in America. No matter the weather, the underground lake, wedding-cake stalagmites and pipe organ made of rocks are breath-taking for young and old alike.
- Shenandoah National Park
With hundreds of miles of hiking trails and gorgeous views by car from Skyline Drive, this unspoiled mountain park is truly a national treasure. Autumn, of course, is spectacular, but the park puts on a new face for every season and has activities to offer everyone. To make your outdoor adventure even better, be sure to book our Hiking Package!
- Shenandoah Caverns
With its snaking, soaring caves, Shenandoah Caverns has amazed visitors for nearly a century. The caverns are kept at a comfortable 56 degrees Fahrenheit year-round, and elevators and easy-to-traverse terrain make this natural wonder accessible to people of all ages and physical ability.
If you need to get around Rappahannock during your stay, we recommend Integrity Chauffeur & Transportation and Rappahannock Flyer. They can arrange a winery tour, get you to-and-from a wedding or special event, or provide limousine service from the airport. Call (540) 229-7466 for more information.